Sunday, March 4, 2012

Kitchen Renovation: Installing A Farmhouse Sink

Hello blogger friends! Today I’m going to share how to install a farmhouse/apron sink into stock kitchen cabinets.

I was so excited when my sink arrived via FedEx freight.  Here it is still in the box.

sink copy


It is a Whitehaus fireclay, double bowl, farmhouse apron front sink.  Isn’t she beautiful? If you are interested I bought her here.


sink1 copy


This sink was one of the splurges of my renovation.  I had three splurges, the sink, tin ceiling tiles, & my new refrigerator.

Now I have stock cabinets that were not made to hold up a 120 lb. sink.  Yes, I said 120 lbs! Remember the before picture?

kitchen2sink

For the sink to fit we had to cut the front down and reinforce the cabinet.  See the arrow at the left those are inserts that just pop out and the arrow at center is about the point we cut them down to, maybe a little lower.

Supplies needed:
Hammer
nails
12 to 14 feet of 2x4
wood filler
liquid nails or wood glue
miter saw

After you have cut out the cabinet front you need to measure the length needed for each 2x4 brace and then cut them out followed by measuring for the boards that will lay flat across the braces and cutting and nailing them in.

support copy


This picture shows where we inserted 2x4’s at the front corner and back corner on each side & the ones laying horizontally across the top. We used liquid nails on the ends of the boards before nailing them in to make the joints doubly strong.


support1 copy

We also put one at the center front as you can see here.  I hope to be able to break down the original doors, cut them down to size, and re-assemble them.  If that does not work I will order replacement doors.

After the braces were in we found some help and set the sink in place.

sink2

I just LOVE it?  lol I never thought I’d be in love with a sink.
The dimensions of the sink are: length (from front to back) 19 7/8”, width 32 3/4”, and the height is 10” which is the part I love most as they are so deep.  I just hate a sink with no depth to it don’t you?

We are now working on my butcher block counter tops and they are fairly time consuming to construct.  I will be posting a separate in depth explanation of how they are made, but for now I thought I’d leave you with a tease of one of the smaller pieces that go next to the stove.  This one I plan to leave unfinished for food preparation the others will be stained and sealed with polyurethane.

butcherblock


I’ll have more instructional posts soon.  Including, of course, making the butcher block counter tops, painting an appliance, installing snap-lock, tin ceiling tiles, upgrading basic cabinets to designer cabinets, and installing Allure flooring.

Have a great week and don’t forget if you haven’t already sign up with Linky Follower, Networked blogs, or via e-mail as Google Friend Connect has already gone away for some bloggers and may be going away for good.

I'm sharing with the following lovely parties:

25 comments:

Tonya @ My Cozy Little Farmhouse said...

Visiting from Under the Table and Dreaming. I love farmhouse sinks. I hope we can install one when we re-do our kitchen. Love it!

Carolyn at Moose Mouse Creations said...

What a great sink and an ambitious project! Love the butcher block too!

Heaven's Walk said...

Someday....I WILL have a sink like that! I just love it! Thanks for the tips on installation. I pinned it for when my dream comes true. :)

xoxo laurie

Liz @ Sixth Street Sunshine said...

Oh how I love farmhouse sinks. It's absolutely beautiful. Period. And DIY butcherblock counter tops? I'm gushing! Can't wait to see the rest of the pictures and the finished product! Thanks again for your comment this evening!

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

Oh it's gorgoues, I have always wanted a farmhouse sink. Thanks for linking and stopping in!
XO
Kristin

bj said...

Looks great...I dream of owning one...someday. :)

Tammy said...

I love those sinks too! Congratulations! Hope you enjoy :) I am your newest follower :) Hope you can visit me sometime.

cathy@my1929charmer said...

Your farmhouse sinks is beautiful, I never knew they were so heavy. OMG your making your own butcher block countertops! Wow, I would never attempt that. Your guys must be very creative at putting things together. Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration at Sunday's Best.

Robin Boyd Jackson said...

I didn't realize that it was possible to have sink envy!
Congratulations - this is beautiful. What a great splurge.

~ robin @ itsrobinwithani.com

kristi@ishouldbemoppingthefloor said...

Yes, just like Robin, I am now green with sink envy. LOVE it!! What a great tutorial, too! Thank you so much for linking up with Mop It Up Mondays!
{HUGS},
kristi

Cristina Garay said...

I love that sink! Great tutorial on how to install it to stock cabinets!

Betsy @ Romance on a Dime said...

The sink looks awesome!! 120 lbs.? Wow. Good luck on finishing the countertops. Thanks for sharing this on the Take it on Tuesday blog hop!!

Our Pinteresting Family said...

What a great sink! I can't wait to see your other renos. Megan

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

That is one gorgeous sink!

Darryl Iorio said...

I can see that’s a top-mount farmhouse sink. It looks classically beautiful in white! :D However, didn’t you have a hard time lowering and adjusting the pipes? It can be a real pain, you know, since there’s very little space under the sink to allow you to work comfortably.

-->Darryl Iorio

PJH Designs said...

Hi Darryl! Thanks for asking but we really didn't have much trouble moving the pipes. Of course my husband and son have a lot of experience in that area.

Unknown said...

Hi Peggy! It’s nice to know that it was just an easy project on your part. You must’ve been grateful that you have hubby and a son who are experts on the field. ;) You don’t need to ask anymore for the help of others! Isn’t that great?

Althea Tumlin

Anonymous said...

I’m glad to find so many useful and informative data on your website.http://www.farmsinksource.com

Unknown said...

Our wonderful kitchens uses the latest features and accessories and brings charm to yourSydney Kitchens .

Quickthorn said...

Today I'm going to share how to install a farmhouse/apron sink into ... efarmhousesink.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

We just had a farmhouse sink put into our kitchen and I am absolutely obsessed!

It is the prettiest, deepest, hugest thing ever and I couldn’t be happier with it!

Gretta Hewson
Veritable Southeast Alaska Fishing

William Hurt said...

It is a very informative and useful post thanks it is good material to read this post increases my knowledge. Granite Sink

Jason Smith said...

This is awesome I want one too in my farmhouse it need to be replace a new one and this is a nice idea.

Jason Smith

Adam Howard said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Australian Hub said...

Thanks for sharing the blog! I get the plumbing services from Eagle Plumbing. they have a professional plumber. It is the best Plumbing company.

Total Pageviews

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...